I recently shared a series on my YouTube channel to help those with loved ones in the Message cult, otherwise known as Branhamism.
As with starting any difficult conversation, how you navigate the conversation depends on your relationship with the person and their level of emotional intelligence.
A few general things to keep in mind:
- Read Proverbs 26:4, and James 1:19-20. Remain polite, if it gets heated, no one is learning anything.
- Read Proverbs 12:18 and Proverbs 11:12. Avoid personal attacks, this makes people get defensive and is a faulty argumentative tactic. “Ad hominem”
- Read Proverbs 29:9. Ask lots of questions, and avoid spit-firing facts without giving anyone a chance to respond or think about it.
- Read Ephesians 4:15. Be loving and considerate of the other person. This is their whole worldview you are questioning – you gotta have tact.
- Read Proverbs 21:1, and Ezekiel 36:26. Remember: You cannot change everyone’s mind. Only God can truly change a heart. It’s not your responsibility to change someone. There will be people that no matter what you say, they will either never listen, or it’s just not the right time.